Energy Consumers: Energy Saving Tips
Insulation and Sealing Air Leaks
Should I Insulate My Home?Insulate your home when:
- You have an older home and haven't added insulation. Only 20% of homes built before 1980 are well insulated.
- You are uncomfortably cold in the winter or hot in the summer—adding insulation creates a more uniform temperature and increases comfort.
- You build a new home, addition, or install new siding or roofing.
- You pay high energy bills.
- You are bothered by noise from outside—insulation muffles sound.
Where to Insulate
Adding insulation in the areas shown above may be the best way to improve your home's energy efficiency. Insulate either the attic floor or under the roof. Check with a contractor about crawl space or basement insulation.