Energy Consumers: Seasonal Checklist

Tips For Winter

BRIGHT IDEAS FOR LIGHTING:

  • Switch from incandescent light bulbs to compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs).
    An incandescent bulb wastes 90% of the energy as heat, with the remaining 10% converted to light.
    CFLs use about a fourth as much electricity and last ten times longer than incandescent bulbs.
  • If you have to choose where to put compact fluorescent bulbs, be sure to put them in hard to reach fixtures since you won’t have to replace them for about 5 years.
  • Keep light bulbs clean. Dust can cut light output by as much 25%.
  • Check Sales!…especially during National Energy Month in October. Stores often have sale prices on compact fluorescent bulbs and other energy saving items.

REFRIGERATORS ARE COOL:

  • ENERGY STAR qualified products meet energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy. These products include appliances, ceiling fans, electronic equipment, phones, compact fluorescent light bulbs, computer equipment and other products. Go to www.energystar.gov or call toll free 1-888-782-7937. An appliance that qualifies for Energy Star meets tough federal criteria for energy efficiency.
  • Cover and wrap food in the refrigerator. Uncovered foods and liquids release moisture and drive up electricity to keep the refrigerator cold.
  • Check the refrigerator door seals. Close the refrigerator door on a piece of paper that is half in and half out of the refrigerator. If you can remove the paper easily without opening the door, you need to adjust the door latch or replace the seals.
  • Buying a new refrigerator? Get an ENERGY STAR Model. Replacing a refrigerator bought in 1990 with a new Energy Star model would save enough energy to light the average household for over four and a half months!!!
  • When buying an appliance look at BOTH price tags; the price of buying it and the price of paying for the energy to run it. Over the lifetime of the appliance you may spend more to use it than it costs to buy it.
Sponsors Fuel Fund of Maryland Citi Maryland Energy Administration
Follow Us facebook twitter
Attend a Free Class
Want a thorough education from one of our expert instructors? Classes are available in your neighborhood.
Check Class Schedule